Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Question! Manga manga manga...

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Lucethira's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2002
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    There are a couple of Asian places where I live (U.S.) that have Japanese bookstores and stuff. Does anyone have a clue if shounen-ai/yaoi manga are sold in them, at all? I always browse through the manga, but since I cannot read Japanese kanji terribly well, it's hard for me to find things... But I dunno, I don't know if this kind of material is sold in these shops in America at all, even though they're Japanese.

    I saw a bunch of "Get Backers" manga, I don't know terribly much of that series, but I THINK there are shounen-ai themes... And I can't open them because they're in plastic wrap and stuff...

  2. #2
    Inactive Member tenjou_sama's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It just depends on what store it is and what the owners feel about stocking those sort of manga. I know the store near me has a few, but they're not mixed in with the rest of the manga. They have a section by themselves.

    Hmm...don't know to much about Get Backers, but my friend talks alot about the anime. Here's a pretty good site for it too :Get Backers

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Lucethira's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2002
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ooh, I found some! Yaay! I bought this manga that I thought looked good. Pity I can't read Japanese, but still I like what I see... shounen-ai! Mmmm!! Howzabout if I scans a few pages and let Sakura/Crisis take a look at it? Maybe even do a translation?

    Speaking of which, I was wondering - How long or difficult is it for you guys to translate? Are you fluent in both Japanese and English? That's amazing!

    Also I'm just wondering if there are any 'samurai' shounen-ai manga... I dunno, but I feel like reading something like this - historical, from another time and whatever. Mostly I see shounen-ai in manga with modern school themes and stuff. Is shounen-ai mostly that way?

    Too bad I don't think I can find any yaoi manga sold in stores - I still LOVE reading "Mind Breaker" on this site and I want to find more like it! Mmm, that story was sooo sexy...

  4. #4
    Inactive Member sakurayuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 11th, 2002
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ^0^ oh wow!! that sounds awesome!! (well, ANYthing shounen-ai/yaoi does!! ^0^ i shouldn't actually *shout* that out, but... ^^`)

    however... as much I'd LOVE to scanlate it... We're not fluent in Japanese!! =) Our site actually scanlates stuff from Chinese (traditional, not simplified). =) But if you DO find someone who's willing to translate it, we can definitely help edit it and even host it. =))
    Does that help?? =)

    yours,
    sakura

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Lucethira's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2002
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, it is so pretty! Oohhh, this kiss scene I'm looking at is SOOO pretty, it's giving me tinglies all over. ^__^

    It's called "Kiss From A Replicant", by Fujii Sakuya. Maybe I'll see if Zetsuai.com or Game Over or Continue could translate it.

    Oh so you actually read stuff in Chinese? I also went to a Chinese bookstore some time ago, and bought "Saiyuki" in Chinese. Is this already translated somewhere..?

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner crisisdreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2002
    Posts
    382
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Mangacity is already working on Saiyuki. ^^ It's a great manga, with lots of yummy guys (and girls) in it.

    Hmmm...well, I'm thinking about scanlating one yaoi story I have which is really sweet, so you'll be able to read some other yaoi too. Oh, and bug Sakura if you want more Love Master. *nudge nudge*

  7. #7
    Inactive Member sakurazukamori's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 16th, 2002
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ne.. Luchithera-san.. ur description on A Kiss from a Replicant sound interesting.. is it a*lovey dovey* story or something like Occult/evil stuff?????? i love this gothic things... eg: X by Clamp.. ( I know Crisis not quite fond of X.. too violent may be -_______-)

  8. #8
    HB Forum Owner crisisdreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2002
    Posts
    382
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Haha...too violent? Nonsense, nothing is too violent for Crisis. (*koff* Count Cain...Petshop of Horrors...Angel Sanctuary...Boys Next Door...not exactly what we would call gentle now, is it? ^^) Hmm...it's just a general Clamp dislike thing...something about how it's over-rated, or how the guys and girls look the same...I'm not really sure. ^^**

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Lucethira's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2002
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, I think "Kiss" is more of a "lovey-dovey" thing. It's definitely not gothic or occult. But it's not "too" lovey dovey, I don't think. From what I can basically tell (I cannot read Japanese)the semeru bishounen wants to give affection to the ukeru bishounen (wish I knew their names, the uke is very handsome. Well, they're all handsome!!) but the uke is a little uncomfy with it, or something. Wish I knew.

    The art is very pretty, I love it.

    I'd also like to read X/1999... I saw a scan of a page with Fuuma "coming on" to Kamui... mmm, I wants MORE!!! MORE! so PRETTY!! [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I just need a bunch of money to get all the volumes. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

    There is also the translated American graphic novel version, but isn't that cancelled now? Heard it was... [img]graemlins/broken_heart.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member rev.tsukiyama's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2002
    Posts
    273
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yo. I live in the UK where manga is a scarce, underground thing at best and only juvenile shounen tastes are catered for, so I have to wait for trips to Japan or the US or try to find what I want by mail order. If youre looking for boys love, all I can reccomend in the face of plastic wrapped volumes is to go by the cover, it's usually a pretty good clue. Unless you're looking at something, like CCS for example, where the shounen ai was kinda hidden as a side plot, which was okay too, I suppose.

    As fot Get Backers, I'm a big fan. It's certainly for boys, no mistake about that, but the bxb fangirls dont have to try too hard to see hints between Ginji and Ban. I urge you to read this one. It's been scanlated somewhere, and there's an anime series still showing in jpn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •